Submissions & Themes
Great stories are flush with duality: we offer you themes to explore the multifarious world of characters and settings. We’d love to read your work!
Each event features stories and performances focused around a designated theme. When you sign up for our mailing list, we’ll email you a reminder of the upcoming theme and deadline.
Fires & Quakes — August 31, 2017 deadline
Liars’ League PDX looks for fresh, original, emotionally engaging fiction: stories that make us think, laugh, cry, or just leave us speechless. We’d like your stories to have a full arc and a solid ending, no matter how short. We avoid anecdotes, vignettes, or “slice of life” scenes. Strong characters and strong voices will win our hearts and delight the actors who read them!
- Stories should be 800-2,500 words unless otherwise specified (flash fiction themes will be 1000 or less)
- Stories must be unpublished. We will maintain first serial rights of your story if we publish your work on our website. Then those rights revert back to you and you can use the story as you please
- Writers may submit to any open themes, even if they have already submitted to another theme, but please submit only one story per theme
- Writers whose story was chosen for performance at an event, please wait two submission windows before sumitting work again, so we can offer other writers the same opportunity
- We accept submissions for open themes year-round
- We happily accept simultaneous submissions, but please let us know if your story is accepted elsewhere. The only exception to this rule is if your submission is to another Liars’ League – please only submit each story to one Liars’ League at a time to prevent conflicts
- We accept submissions from anywhere in the world
- We’re happy to accept creative non-fiction, as long as your piece reads as a story
- Unfortunately we don’t pay contributors at this time
- Send your story by email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight PST of the deadline day.
- Save your story as a word or pdf file and attach it to your email. Only list your title and word count on the attached manuscript. Do NOT include your name on your manuscript.
- Please make sure your email subject line includes the word “Submission”, the story title, and the theme: i.e. Submission “A Hamster Named Petey” Liars & Saints
- Please include a short (75-100 word) biography in the body of your email to be used in our promotions if your story is selected, and how you heard about us
Stories are sent to a panel of out-of-state judges who review, comment, and decide the pieces that are selected for the event.